The file review area is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday and is located in the Clerk's Office lobby, Suite 420, at 333 West Broadway, San Diego.
The Clerk's Office allows customers to print their own copy work at a computer work station for a fee of $.10 per page. Copies provided by Clerk's Office personnel are $.50 per page. To receive a certified copy of a document, the Clerk's Office must make the copies and perform the certification. The fee to certify a document is $11.00 plus the cost of the copies.
Records can be accessed in several ways:
- View the docket and images of filed documents on the Internet or in the Clerk's Office Lobby via CM/ECF PACER
- Request the file from File Review in the Clerk's Office Lobby
- Request an archived file from the Federal Records Center
National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Archived files are not available at the Clerk's Office, but can be retrieved from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). NARA can be accessed on-line for more detailed information. Dockets can be reviewed on the Internet via CM/ECF PACER.
Location of Case Files
All cases have distinctive numbers in the following format:
The first 2 numbers indicate the year the case was filed;
- followed by 2 letters that indicate the case type (cv = civil, cr = criminal, mj = magistrate, mc = misc);
- followed by an individualized four or five digit case number.
Civil and criminal case numbers also indicate the judge assignment by following the case number with a hyphen and the initial(s) of the district judge assigned. Magistrate and miscellaneous case numbers do not indicate judge assignment.
- Civil case numbers also indicate the magistrate assignment by following the district judge initial(s) with the initial(s) of the magistrate judge in parenthesis.
The first civil action number in 1997 was 97cv0001-H(CM).
The first criminal action number in 1997 was 97cr0001-GT.
The first magistrate case number in 1997 was 97mj0001.
The first misc case number in 1998 was 97mc0001.
Archived files are not available at the Clerk's Office, but copies can be retrieved from the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). NARA can be accessed online for more detailed information HERE.